BIND version 9 is a major rewrite of nearly all aspects of the underlying BIND architecture. Some of the important features of BIND 9 are:
bind9-9.2.2: description + notes
- DNS Security
- DNSSEC (signed zones)
- TSIG (signed DNS requests)
- IP version 6 (not currently implemented in Irix)
- Answers DNS queries on IPv6 sockets
- IPv6 resource records (A6, DNAME, etc.)
- Bitstring Labels
- Experimental IPv6 Resolver Library
- DNS Protocol Enhancements
- IXFR, DDNS, Notify, EDNS0
- Improved standards conformance
- One server process can provide multiple "views" of the DNS namespace, e.g. an "inside" view to certain clients, and an "outside" view to others.
- Multiprocessor Support
- Improved Portability Architecture
IMPORTANT NOTE REGARDING CHROOT USAGE
The optional subsystem
fw_bind9.config.chrootrequires the manual addition of an unprivileged '
named' user in
/etc/passwdwith a home directory of
/var/freeware/namedfor proper functionality.
BIND 9.2.2 is a maintenance release, containing fixes for a number of bugs in 9.2.1 and 9.2.0 but no new features.
NOTE: dig (nslookup name) now reports "Not Implemented" as NOTIMP rather than NOTIMPL. This will have impact on scripts that are looking for NOTIMPL.
To auto-install this package, go back and click on the respective install icon.