ctags-5.5.2: description + notes
Author: Darren Hiebert (dhiebert at users.sourceforge.net)
Yahoo! ID : dbhiebert
AIM ScreenName: darrenhiebert
Exuberant Ctags is a multilanguage reimplementation of the much-underused
ctags(1) program and is intended to be the mother of all ctags programs. It
generates indexes of source code definitions which are used by a number of
editors and tools. The motivation which drove the development of Exuberant
Ctags was the need for a ctags program which supported generation of tags
for all possible C language constructs (which no other ctags offers), and
because most were easily fooled by a number of preprocessor contructs.
Exuberant Ctags offers the following features:
1. It supports the following languages: Assembler, AWK, ASP, BETA,
Bourne/Korn/Z Shell, C, C++, C#, COBOL, Eiffel, Erlang, Fortran, Java, Lisp,
Lua, Makefile, Pascal, Perl, PHP, PL/SQL, Python, REXX, Ruby, Scheme,
S-Lang, SML (Standard ML), Tcl, Vera, Verilog, Vim, and YACC.
2. It is capable of generating tags for virtually all C language constructs.
3. It is very robust in parsing code. In particular, the C/C++ parser is
far less easily fooled by code containing #if preprocessor conditional
constructs, using a conditional path selection algorithm to resolve
complicated situations, and a fall-back algorithm when this one fails.
4. Supports output of Emacs-style TAGS files (i.e. "etags").
5. User-defined languages, using Posix regular expressions.
6. Supports UNIX, MSDOS, Windows 95/98/NT/2000/XP, OS/2, QNX, Amiga, QDOS,
RISC OS, VMS, Macintosh, and Cray. Some pre-compiled binaries are
available on the web site.
Visit the Exuberant Ctags web site:
To auto-install this package, go back and click on the respective install icon.