The GNU Find Utilities are the basic directory searching utilities of the GNU operating system. These programs are typically used in conjunction with other programs to provide modular and powerful directory search and file locating capabilities to other commands.
findutils-4.1: description + notes
The tools supplied with this package are:
- find - search for files in a directory hierarchy
- locate - list files in databases that match a pattern
- updatedb - update a file name database
- xargs - build and execute command lines from standard input
GNU find has several enhancements over the stock find. Notable improvements include:
- No need to specify directory (if you want current dir)
- Support for "
-print0", which prints null-terminated names. (Useful for handling names with embedded spaces and other special characters; see the "
xargs -0" option.)
NOTE: GNU find doesn't support the
-localoption you may be used to in IRIX. Use
For more details check the respective command man pages or the GNU info (find.info*) documentation that is included in this distribution. The GNU findutils home page has more information.
To auto-install this package, go back and click on the respective install icon.