To avoid conflicts with the host command in
host-991529: description + notes
fw_bind9, this package installs as host-loc.
This is a completely new version of host, a nameserver query utility a la nslookup and dig, but much more versatile and robust. It is used for the RIPE monthly European hostcount survey. host supports RFC1876 ("LOC") information.
Among the new features are:
And many more; see the manual page, the RELEASE NOTES, and the extensively documented code for details.
- Extensive error checking.
- Optionally (very) verbose output and debugging info.
- Checking for extraneous conditions during zone listings such as non-authoritative glue records and lame delegations.
- Checking for illegal characters in certain domain names.
- Checking for dangling CNAME pointers without RR records.
- Verify that some host-related domain names are canonical.
- Perform ttl consistency checking during zone listings.
- Recursive traversion of delegated zones up to a given level.
- Maintaining of resource record and host count statistics.
- Option to check reverse mappings of host addresses.
- Option to compare SOA records at the primary and secondary nameservers of a zone to check for anomalies such as out-of-sync serial numbers, and other discrepancies.
- Recognition of many new RR types as defined by latest RFCs.
- Allow multiple arguments on command line or from stdin.
- Configurable default options via an environment variable.
- Anticipate non-BIND behaviour during zone listings.
- Facility to maintain local disk cache files for zone data.
To auto-install this package, go back and click on the respective install icon.