This library lets you manipulate XML files. The libxml home page has on-line documentation and information.
libxml2-2.5.4: description + notes
libxml is an XML library provided in the Gnome framework. XML is a standard for building tag-based structured documents/data.
Here are some key points about libxml:
- The internal document repesentation is as close as possible to the DOM interfaces.
- Libxml also has a SAX like interface; the interface is designed to be compatible with Expat.
- Libxml now includes a nearly complete XPath implementation.
- Libxml exports Push and Pull type parser interfaces for both XML and HTML.
- This library is released both under the W3C IPR and the GNU LGPL. Use either at your convenience, basically this should make everybody happy, if not, send Daniel Veillard mail.
- There are instructions concerning upgrade from libxml-1.x to libxml-2.x
As the package version number suggests libxml2 2.5.x is a superset of the version 2.4.x API. Programs built against 2.4.x will work with the new libraries, but not vice versa. Unfortunately the shared library version information is incorrect, and rld will not detect such incompatibilities automatically. If you get error messages about unresolved symbols make sure you have the latest libxml2 libraries.
Developers intending to use this distribution for application development should be sure to read the information in FAQ 3.8.
To auto-install this package, go back and click on the respective install icon.