screenshot is an X11 application to create image dumps of selected windows or widgets.
screenshot-1.0: description + notes
screenshot was written by Yusuf Attarwala of SGI to replace snapshot, an old application written in IrisGL. Dave Ratcliffe, Mike Gold, and Dave Bouvier helped Yusuf rewrite screenshot in Motif and add a few useful features such as:
- A much easier to use interface, with online help. Now creating, moving, and resizing the region is simple and direct.
- A time delay for grabbing transient windows/menus.
- Predefined region sizes for quick capture of in publishable footprints such as NTSC and PAL.
- Ability to maintain an aspect ratio while sweeping a region.
- Incremental pixel-by-pixel region sizing with keyboard arrow keys that can be accelerated by using the Mod keys, Ctrl and Shift.
- Can create a series of uniquely named files, avoiding the dreaded overwrite of an important file previously captured.
- Preview of the captured image.
The code uses
/usr/sbin/scrsaveto actually grab the region image. Overlay windows are used for the GUI, including the region rubberband, to avoid causing expose/redraw artifacts in the underlying windows.
screenshot doesn't have a man page, it has an online help option and its GUI is self descriptive and simple to use.
To auto-install this package, go back and click on the respective install icon.